Winter Storm Story

KZRO-FM back on the air after many trips to our tower at Broadcast Ridge...

Sunday, December 16, 2001 5:30PM FINAL EDITION
OK. I still didnt' have time to get a Christmas tree, but we did get the station running again. It was a fun ride to our transmitter site that was buried in snow, but it was a great view up there. Kudos goin out to Z-Engineer Bob-O-Dee who isolated the problem which turned out to be a little circuit board full of diodes totally fried in the power surge following the outage. Also thanx to Daren from the Fun Factory for taking his Saturday off to cut a trail for us.. don't worry,  he's not a terrorist. Hopefully, this is the last entry into this storm diary as I get back to my desk, and continue to get hammered by snow even as I type, and wait for the next power outage...    

Sunday, December 16, 2001 5:30PM
KZRO-FM returned to the air around 12:30pm today. Gottal love them power surges. Will have a final report on this adventure with a couple of pix later tonight. For now I'm at the station doing all that backed up radio stuff that you hear every day... 

Saturday, December 15, 2001 10:25PM
We're still dead. Thanx for the calls and emails tho. We started out with two snowmobiles (I mean, sleds..) at the North entrance to Broadcast Ridge at around 1:00pm. Engineer Bob-O-Dee runs a short track that was bogging down in the powder, so we enlisted the services of Z-Lady Michele's other half, Daren (who has a long track.. more surface area, less sinking). A snowcat had torn the trail up so much it was unusable so we jetted over to the South entrance off of HWY89.

A logging road leads to the tower, but there was no road. Daren cut the trail and Bob-O-Dee followed him up. No less than three 4WDs went up that road within an hour and all got stuck blocking the road (path with snow walls). Z-Engineer Bob-O-Dee risked life and limb in wet boots poking around in this hi-powered transmitter with a VOM to isolate the problem. We were hoping it'd just be a tripped breaker (two @60 amp), but not... anyway, a circuit board was shown to contain blown out diodes.. we zipped back down the snow, trucked back to the station to check the parts box and have 4 new boards which BODee will snowmobile back up tomorrow morning to install. If we're on, that was it. If not, you know what we'll be doing as it'll mean another unknown problem blew the new boards out too. We'd like to take time to thank Pacific Power for providing the power surge that prevented me from going out and buying a Xmas tree today...  I shot a couple of pix, but left the camera in BODs truck... which I'll post on this page soon... everyone got their shopping done yet?  

Friday, December 14, 2001 8:38PM
Well, here's the plan. Tomorrow afternoon (unless the system moving in is too intense) we'll be jumping on some snowmobiles and breaking trail up to the tower to assess the damage to our transmitter. We'll provide a report here when we get back. 

Friday, December 14, 2001 1:30PM
After driving the Z-Bronco as far as we could up a narrow barely plowed road at around the 4300' level of Mt. Shasta, we were stopped about two miles short of our tower. Unfortunately, the snow is between three to four feet deep and comprised of extremely fine powder, making it impossible for even show shoes to walk through. The good news is that the tower is still standing (which I was having virtual daytime nightmares about).

Z-Engineer Bob-O-Dee and myself then attempted to enter the area on the Old McCloud Road side where we were stopped at the trailhead by only a few cross country ski tracks and more deep, virgin snow. Then we got stuck... thanks to the skiers that helped push us out. We're still figuring out our options... i.e., wait for the snow to pack to gain access or find a SnowCat to get us up there. We'll keep you up to date on this page. In the meantime, if you're local, don't forget you can still tune into us on the web. 

Friday, December 14, 2001 3:35AM
Another whopper of a winter storm has rolled through Northern California, and after what is assumed to be a major power surge following an outage, our transmitter located at Broadcast Ridge in Mt. Shasta has failed to respond to remote startup commands. Without being able to access the site, we're still unsure what the problem is... this transmitter has been very reliable and has been in service 24/7 since 1995. We're thinking it's a high-voltage breaker. Our signal will continue to be broadcast on the internet during this time as we attempt to locate the problem.




Big Tree Communications 
PO Box 1234 
Mt.Shasta, CA 96067 
530 926-1332 Fax: 926-0737


Big Tree Communications 2007